Clearly, I did not ultimately complete my project here. After designing and posting five of my “final collection” looks, I posted no more. Lots of things go into preventing a finish line from being crossed. Having sewn twelve weeks straight, more or less, I was spent, pretty much.
I did have several more designs drawn, but never coloured them. Nor, um, scanned them and I recycled the sketches. Go me. Here’s the only one that I did scan, just imagine the same sorts of colour families as before:
I also recently sorted through the pile of garments I made for this project. With so much time passed since I last sewed on them I could view each piece more objectively, which was nice. Immersing oneself in something highlights all the flaws. I had quite a pile to go through.
Of the twelve looks, I have:
- 6 pieces that can go straight into my general rotation of clothes.
- 2 pieces that need mending or hems finished better than the rush job they first got.
- 3 pieces that I like part of, but hate the rest of. They’ll be cut up and altered and used as the base for other stuff.
- The rest goes in my costume pile, who knows when I’ll be mad stoked to have a cocktail dress made out of screening and garbage bags.
Overall, I suppose failure is a harsh word. I only skipped the one week of two looks, for legit reasons (life), but overall completed 85% of the challenges, and about 40% of the final thing, which is not bad. I am considering it again for Season 8, despite inevitable burnout. I learned a lot about sewing (and my level of contempt for “make a pretty dress” challenges) during the whole thing, so I think it’s worth it.
If you care to see me blather about fashion in general I do it at I Like Socks. I’m pretty much obsessed with the tightening cyclical noose of trends.