I’m taking classes at the Conceptual Oregon Performance School this summer and I’m a huge nerd. Here are my notes from class and related links. This is a video based class so the majority of the links are videos.
Class notes/discussion topics:
- Initial aspects of endurance: impressing others, consistently topping oneself or others.
- Endurance as viewer: How long will you watch?
- Once you’ve seen/watched it, you “get” it.
- Question of the necessity of watching a long form piece in entirety.
- [see Andy Warhol’s “Sleep”, from the YouTube comments: “imagine this 10 minute clip lasting 5 hours, yeah, crazy shit”]
- Watched the San Diego Zoo’s Polar Cam while class read “A Hunger Artist” aloud.
- [apparently the live cams at night are soothing/interesting, just barely seen waterfalls, abstract night vision]
- Shift from initial interest in spectacle to boredom.
- Longer work looses you from finite time frames, allowing you to come and go.
- Everybody can smash a guitar on their head. (Chunky smashes guitar on head) So why do/imitate it?
- Documenting assholery.
- Public interest hasn’t waned, but the bar has risen.
- Memetic ability
- Cover band: take a piece of something that is popular/powerful
- Why watch it?
- Atrocity tourism: this is terrible, do you see how terrible.
- Why else?
- Günter Brus: Vienese Actionists, 1965 action
- Documenting the challenge, the dare, Guinness Book of World Records
- Japanese game show, “Pass the Critter”
- Sidebar: Shepard Fairey Obey Giant Mayday Jeffrey Deitch
- Criss Angel Mindfreak
- During the guitar smash video it was remarked that the room “was perfect” and agreed that to create that same space on purpose for use in a video piece would be difficult. Set dressing is, like costuming, a surprisingly detailed and involved process. It takes work to make something have natural looking detail that informs the piece. Note the falconry (and “avian control” van in the foreground pint-balancing video. You can’t make that shit up.
- WTF video source: Found Footage Festival
- WTF video and edited video source: Everything is Terrible
- WTF edited video source: Four four
- Supercuts can be definite viewer endurance, due to repetitiveness